Re: [Harp-L] tube pre-amp (sort of)

Jim-

  I tried the little Presonus TubePre (same design) and got similar results.
  It sounds pretty good.  I also used it to warm up the vocals when recording
  through the Audio Techinica 4040 condenser microphone.  It is $99 new.

  -Rick

Jim McBride <jpmcbride@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Follow-up to the tube vs. solid state gear discussion recently...

I bought an ART Tube MP preamp off eBay a while ago. It was broken so it sat for a while. I finally got around to fixing it this week and it sounds pretty good. Its nice and easy to use, right into the PA, and you can dial in as much overdrive as you want.

These small tube preamps are not all tube, they have several gain stages using op-amps and transistors in addition to a 12AX7 tube which is running at a very low voltage.

Anayway, it sounds good and is cheap. I can't remember the exact cost but I believe it was under $50 on eBay. Oh, and another thing, it has 1/4" and XLR inputs and outputs so its very flexible.

Jim McBride