Re: Re: [Harp-L] Meisterklasse

John Kerkhoven wrote:
> I've just ordered my first Meisterklasse (in C). I'm comfortable
> with harp mods. I want this harp for overblow playing.
>
> What's your assessment of the current breed of Meisterklasse out
> of the box?

Tinus plays MK Meisterklasses and he's got overblow credentials for
days.  Check out his work, including extensive advice on setup of
these harps, at his site: http://www.overblow.com/

For my money, these are not the best choice for overblow setup; at
least not the simplest.  I prefer the Hohner Golden Melody and
Special 20 for their ease of setup.  That said, there are lots of
harps that overblow well once they're adjusted properly, including
many of the Asian harps that have a propensity for high pitched
squeals without specific attention to that problem.  But once set up
they can be great (ask me about my Tombo Ultimos!).

> Any thoughts about working on these as opposed to Special 20s or
> Golden Melodies (which I am familiar with)? Are there things in
> particular to pay attention to?

Fernando has already mentioned the embossing of plated reed plates,
and the MS Hohners are a little more prone to squealing than the
handmades, so you might want to use nail polish on the rivet end of
the reed, or "Turbo Tape", or both.  Tinus uses wax on the rivets
but in Texas, with temps near 100F already in mid-April, this
probably isn't a good idea.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps