[Harp-L] Simultaneous blow and overblow

Paul -

To play a regular blow and an overblow at the same time in the same
hole, you just don't completely isolate the overblow - your mouth
resonance is specific enough to make the overblow sound, but not
specific enough to exclude the blow reed's note.

I'm doing the simultaneous blow and overblow in Hole 1, not Hole 4.
It seems to work best in Hole 1, where the blow note and the overblow
note seem less likely to fight it out.

On a C harp, yes, this gives both C and Eb notes. You could use this
as part of a C minor chord or any other chord that uses those two
notes. In the example I go from playing C and Eb together in Hole 1
to playing C and E-natural together by releasing the overblow as I
widen my embouchure to add Hole 2 Blow to the the chord.

I've played around with doing it in Hole 3, which will give you G and
C together. Why do that when Blow 3 and 4 will give you G and C? With
the overblow chord, you can bend the C up to C# while holding the G
(though the G will depress in pitch a little).

Hole 2 will give you E and G# together - part of an E major chord.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Paul Bowering
<paul_bowering@...> wrote:

Says Winslow:

>I've utilized a couple of extended overblow
>techniques - bending overblows up one semitone, and
>playing a blow and overblow at the same time in a
>single hole.

I'm currently sitting at a computer not equipped with
speakers so I haven't heard the sample. I can bend an
overblow okay but two simultaneous notes from a single
hole? That's way cool. Do I understand that you can
outline a Cm chord on Hole 4 (assuming a 'C' harp)? Is
it musical? Please explain the technique further.

Paul