[Harp-L] Re: upper register

"Up until recently I didn't really realize that 95% of my 2nd position
playing has been using the 1st 5 holes. "

That's an easy rut to fall into, and it happens to me all the time.  One
thing I do to get out of it is to play 6 blow -- that's the tonic note in
2nd position.  It's easy to play, easy to tack onto the end of a scale run,
and easy to use for playing your riffs backwards!  This one note can add a
lot more pitch variance to your solos, so don't be afraid to go there.  And
it's a nice launching point for expanding into the true upper registers,
holes 7-10.  You may find that after playing with 6 blow for a while, it
feels quite natural to extend your riffs up into the really high notes.

Another suggestion I can make from (limited but valuable) personal
experience is to practice your blow bend technique and learn to play some
blues with blow bends.  "Amazing Grace", "I'll Fly Away", "When the Saints
Go Marching In", etc. are familiar songs that are easy to pick out in the
top holes once you can blow bend hole 8 two steps.  I have found that
practicing these songs in the upper register gives me more confidence to
move from the typical lower register 2nd position playing all the way up to
the top of the harp when playing other songs.

Related topic: sometimes I can't tell if I'm playing in 4th position or just
high-register 2nd position.  If I'm mainly playing blow notes and blow bend
notes on holes 7-10, which one would that be?

Jonathan Metts