Fwd: [Harp-L] upper register - some second position exercises

There are a few basic exercises that can help you get familiar with
the top octave in second position.

First off, the Banana Splits theme:

9B 8B 8D

9B 9B 8D

9B 8B 8D 7B

7D 6D 6B

Then, play this liick that starts on the home notes - both blow
notes, and plays all the draw notes in between:

6B 6D 7D 8D 9D 9B

and back down:

9B 9D 8D 7D 6D 6B

Then, going up, each time you come to the next draw note, play it,
then the blow note in the same nhole, then back to the draw note and
back down.

For instance:

6B 6D 6B

6B 6D 7D - 7B 7D 6D 6B

6B 6D 7D 8D - 8B 8D 7D 6D 6B

and so on.

In other words, use the draw notes as reference points to find where
the blow notes are located. The draw notes are the notes of the home
chord so they're good anchors.

A sort of reverse version of the exercise above is to start in 9 Blow
and work the blow notes going down, finding which draw note is in the
same hole:

9B 9D 9B

9B 8B - 8D 8B 9B

9B 8B 7B - 7D 7B 8B 9B

and so on.

Hope this helps.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "bloozeharp" <bloozeharp@...>
wrote:

Up until recently I didn't really realize that 95% of my 2nd position
playing has been using the 1st 5 holes. I've been working on trying
to incorporate more of the harp in my playing. Getting the 7-10 holes
to cooperate has not been too productive. I am aware that the draw
notes on the 1-6 holes are higher in pitch that the blow notes and
its the opposite on the 7-10. Is that the reason that those holes
sound like they are from another planet when I reach up there from
say the 4th hole and try to get it to blend in? I've been practicing
a scale that runs from the 4-9 to get the feel of it, but when I try
to grab the uppers during the song it can sound pretty rough. Any
advice on how to approach this in practice?