[Harp-L] scales what does it all mean ?

A lot of improv systems use the chord scale system.
See this chord play this scale.
Jamie Ambersol is great with execises that deals with this system.
I'm a big fan of volume 21.

All of these different scales can seem overwhelming.
When i first started i thought to myself this sounds like crap.
I just could't make music out  of some of the scales.
I takes to time to open up the ear to some of this stuff.

One thing my old jazz teacher used to talk about is
developing lines. This to me is where the art of improv
is developed.

Learning the scales seems to me to be part of the craft
and developing lines the art.

Well that's my story and i'm sticken' to it.
Emile Diggs D'Amico