[Harp-L] delays

Chris wrote:
"My bassist is endorsed by the Moog guys and in fact he doesn't even use them and chooses to use a Boss DM-3 for delay. He offered to trade me all of his Moog pedals for my DM-2. What does that tell you?"

That your bassist has a tin ear.

Of course, one person's treasure is another's trash, especially when it comes to musical gear. I own several MoogerFooger pedals and intend to buy the ones I don't. If nothing else, the overdrive stage on these is fantastic. As for the delay, it is by far the most musical sounding delay I know of--the texture and quality it adds to the sound is unparalleled.

Indeed, I noticed this in the original post that started this thread (by Dennis Moriarty):

"I also have a (spelling approximate) small guatone analog delay "

Guyatone is the brand, and they made some excellent analog delays. Indeed, I believe the AD-40 is considered one of the best by many. I've played it, but can't remember if that's the right one (alpha- numerical names all blend for me) and I thought that it was a fine, basic guitarist delay with nice tone if limited controls. I'd suggest pulling that out of the closet and seeing how you like it.

Now, if you want a more all-around delay then a digital is the way to go--play around with settings and such until you get what you like. Use an analog or tube pre-amp to warm things up when so needed and you can get a lot of results (sorry, no suggestions as I am basically an analog delay man solely). The T-Rex looks nice, with most of the features you would probably want and a decent price for a possibly extremely versatile tool. I'd check it out myself, but I'm overloaded at the moment with delays as is (mind you, I'm not getting rid of any of them anytime soon).

Here are a few things I wrote on analog delays in the archives when this came up before:

http://harp-l.org/pipermail/harp-l/2005-August/msg00839.html

As for tape-echo, well, that's another beast again. I find that only a true tape-echo can get that particular sound. Alas, the choices are either older units which are expensive to begin with and like all electronics repairs get harder with time, or new units which are much more expensive.

Oh, add this smiley :) to the part about Chris' bassist--I'd add it myself, but I much prefer the effect of the massive overstatement that begins this post:).

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () & Snuffy, too:) `----'