Fwd: [Harp-L] Harpgear champ clone

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Paul Routledge <kingley@...> wrote:
Does anybody have any experience of the Harpgear champ clone (The
Brian Purdy one)?
www.harpgear.com
Paul

Hi, Paul.
I have one of Brian's champs.  I think it sounds great. Based on the endorsements on his
site, he doesn't need mine!   I find it hard to put words to sound, but maybe I'd say it
sparkles.   It's really alive.  Thew breakup is very natural sounding.  The lineout feature is
convenient, and its lined out sound is great (he told me the lineout is after the power
stage).  Of course it's not as FAT as a 4x10 -- it doesn't rumble the chakras!  -- just a
different personality.  BTW, the one I have is not his standard model.  I described my
typical playing situations (blues and r&b based rock -- so not looking for a totally
traditional Chicago sound and wanting to be sure to cut through the mix) and he
suggested a somewhat different configuration that would provide a cleaner sound with the
volume knob down a bit and slightly more treble than his standard.  I wish I could
compare it to a vintage Champ for you, but I've never played through one.   So far I've only
played out with it once, and the stage volume was fine.  However it was not a full drum kit
and amped guitars situation, so in my case the jury is still out on how well it might work in
that kind of situation.  I guess you could put some of the lined out signal into the
monitors if necessary -- but I don't know if it would be necessary or not.  BTW, Brian was a
pleasure to deal with and he has been good about answering follow-up questions and
indulging my curiosity.  The amp looks very well put together.  I've got a Pro Jr. that I like a
lot, but I like the sound of the champ better (tube rectifier perhaps?).    I like it WAY better
than the Crate VC508.  If you have any specific questions, I can try to answer them.
--John k.