[Harp-L] circular breathing

   Jim Liban, out of Milwaukee, has been using the technique at gigs for a couple of decades.  I think he started out using it as comedy schtick; pretending to pass out or swoon after several minutes of holding a note.  A band member would either catch him or hold him up.  Gradually he got more musical with it, using it on high end warbles.
     I understand it's a fairly common technique in classical music.  I think maybe the most high profile circular breather would have to be jazzman Roland Kirk.  You could probably find examples throughout his later recordings.  My memory is a little foggy, but I think I read somewhere that Roland said he loved the technique because it allowed him to play like pianist Art Tatum---not having to leave a space anywhere or pause for anything.

  ---tinsandwich