[Harp-L] Lee Oskar (cont.)

   Harp-lers,
                   I just want to  harp (!)  a little
more about Lee's style and contributions . He is
nothing if not an innovator with
such a distinct style and sound that with just one
note played you know who it is. He's sort of the Paul
Desmond of  diatonic harmonica but even more
identifiable. Before Lee there were plenty of blues
players leaning on bent notes and generally sticking
to the minor blues scale  but Oskar veered away from
that . Most of his stuff (with War)  though usually
2nd postion (always diatonic) is major scale (O,.K.
not Slippin' Into Darkness) . He's done quite a lot of
innovating with special tunings and harp switching
always
to great melodic effect.
    His Lee Oskar harps reflect his innovation and
high standards (though for my
own bluesier style of playing I prefer the wood comb).
Putting out a high G and low F; natural minor, dorian
minor- these are very cool,
useful and fun axes to explore on.
     Lee has been a major force in advancing and
promoting harmonica
playing worldwide.

         Chris

Chris "Hammer" Smith