Re: [Harp-L] Crap Musicians

Rick In Davis wrote:
<  I can think of people - some we are all familiar with -  who play
<their insturments well but who are also repulsive
<twits.  I don't consider them to be good musicians.  "Musician" maybe,
<but there ain't nothing good about them...

Rick, you're confusing the artist and the art.  Good art comes from
crappy people every day, and bad art comes from good people every day.
It's the quality of the art that makes you a good musician, not the
quality of the person.

A nice person isn't a good musician unless he or she makes good music.
That's not any more an insult than saying that a nice person isn't a
world-class athlete unless he or she can qualify for the Olympics. One
really has very little to do with the other.

I'd rather hang out with good people, but I'd rather listen to good
musicians, whether they're good people or not, just as I'd rather watch
pro baseball players play the game, even though a lot of them aren't
very nice people.

Regards, Richard Hunter