Re: [Harp-L] Re: From the heart

In the early 90's I had a large loft in Chicago and not much else. I had a wooden door that laid across two boxes with a pool air mattress for a bed. The air mattress had a small leak in it so I would have to wake up in the middle of the night and refill it to get any more sleep. The only other thing I had in this space was a turntable, amp, and (2) great JBL tower speakers that I refused to pawn (I still have 'em!).

The night I moved in I set up my joke of bed and threw on a vinyl copy of "Deliver the Word" by War and dropped the needle on "Gypsy Man". Now, I had heard this song countless times all the way back to when they played it on AM radio but I have to tell you Lee Oskar's solo at the end reveberatring off the walls of that huge space was a chiller. I always liked how his tone was so incisive yet contrasted by the almost vaporous character of his style. The solo in that song is a prime example of less is more. There is tons of space and the playing is all the more full as a result. The solo trails-off into nothingness with a subdued thumping beat below it. You can actually "feel" it disappear. It still hits me when I play that song.

-------------- Original message from SONNYTONE@xxxxxxx: --------------