[Harp-L] 520DX as workbench element tester?

I want to have a mic for workbench use only to test elements with.
Is there any reason I couldn't buy a Shure 520DX, remove the element, and outfit the lead wires with mini alligator clips for this purpose? Should I remove the volume pot? Would that make any difference either way (because the 520DX's stock element is a dynamic)?

Also, are there any sites that are "how to" places for guys like me who know just enough to be dangerous when trying to learn how to work on / modify their own harp mics?