From: Emile D'Amico <EDAmico@xxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:10:21 -0400
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Harp-L] dim. half whole

I think some people call this the diminished whole tone scale.
There are some cob webs in the jazz part of my brain but i'll give it a
try. Most jazz books relate this scale to the melodic minor ascending scale.
You would start the scale on the 7 degree of the melodic minor.
c#defgabc# the melodic minor would be defgabc#d.(take any major scale and drop
the third from major to minor and you've got it the melodic minor ascending that
is.
Most books assign the scale to be bullt over the b9 of the dominant chord.

Well this is my little bit of knowledge on a big subject

Emile Diggs D'Amico

>>> "Winslow Yerxa" <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx> 04/13/06 12:38PM >>>
Tom -

This is one of the classic scale substitutions in jazz. Not only can
you play this scale over a dominant 7th chord (the 9th, if included, is
usually lowered to accord with the scale), you can also derive whole
sequences of chord substitutions played either as chords or
arpeggiated. The obvious device of spacing the suqence by minor thirds
or tritones can often be heard.

I wrote a series of articles for harp-l on different substitute scales
over dominant chords a few yearts back; this was one of them. You can
probably find them in the archives.

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, TomEHarp@... wrote:

anybody ever get in to playing a dim half whole scale over a dom 7th
chord.there are onlt 3 dim scales the rest are symestrical. they are C
C# and D.

--- End forwarded message ---