Re: Fwd: [Harp-L] dim. half whole

Emile -

No, Tom was talking about true diminished scales, not the melodic
minor, aka diminished wholetone.

You're correct that diminished-wholteonte refers to a way of looking at
the melodic minor scale. However, the half-step-whole-step inversion of
the diminished scale is a true diminished 8-note scale.

Here is Ab diminished:

Ab Bb B-natural C# D# E F G

It goes whole-step, then half-step, repeating this pattern
consistently.

If you start it on G, it goes half-step, then whole ,step, which is
what Tom was referring to. This gives you the Skeleton notes of G, B,
and F for the G7 chord, and adds a lot of other cool stuff. The
patternis symmetrical, so F diminished, D diminished, and B diminished
are all the same scale and any pattern you can come up with can be
repated a tritone away or a minor third above or below - lots of fun
things you can do with it.

By contrast, for the melodic minor or diminshed wholetone scale, we
would take the ascending emlodic minor on Ab:

Ab Bb Cb Db Eb F G

Only seven notes, not symmetrical, and some of the same notes as the
diminished scale. But a very different flavor overall. The reason it is
sometimes called wholetone diminished is that it has large fragemtns of
both scales:

Wholetone Cb Db Eb F G  (lacks only A natural for completeness)

Diminished F G Ab Bb Cb Db (lacks ony D and E for completeness)

To get the skeleton notes for G7 we have to voice the chord in fourths:

G Cb F - yes Cb is enharmonic with B, but the principle of fourths is
important to voicing this chord. The full voicing in fourths is
immediately recognizable as a classic sound:

G Cb F Bb Eb Ab Db

You can also spin off triads, like alternating Db major and Eb major
creeiping up and down in close voicings, another very characteristic
sound.

Winslow