[Harp-L] Further reflection on a great learning experience

I am forwarding this note because I felt that my earlier post was really
superficial and did not clearly delineate the type of inspiration that our
class received from Rod and Honey last Sunday.

I have made posts, emails and class handouts that describe how Rod and Honey
strive to not only teach tone, technique and composition but to develop a
sense of feel style and soul.  There was a really good vibe in our room.
People were relaxed and willing to take some chances. Rod had already spent
hours discussing, demonstrating, evaluating and advising on tone from oral
cavity to the wire. Then there was the lick and of course the composition
issues. We have all been to classes where there is an emphasis on
identifying forms like AAB etc. and the chord changes. This is all
necessary. But then there is the magic. That is more than just idle jamming
but Rod demonstrating how to take each individuals lick and make it
transcend, give it soul and think out of the box.

Then of course there is the vibe. The immersion of being around Rod and
Honey.  This is not the star worship syndrome. This is getting to feel the
music through them and giving you permission to take the next step. To get
deeper. As Rod tasks himself to breakdown a natural intuitive organic like
process that he perfected in terms of infusing passion dynamics and taste
into the music we the students grow closer and more confident that this is
truly possible in time. This is no small feat for Rod. He is breaking down a
process that is as unconscious to him as breathing and yet he tries and
succeeds to pass it on if someone can listen.

Like I said. To say this was inspirational does not give Rod, Honey or my
fellow students credit for the vibe that we created in the room that allowed
us to absorb and move ahead.

I know that Rod doesn't work on a computer. But thanks Rod for the ride.

Respectfully,

Doc

Dennis B. Alters, MD,

Diplomate, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology

Diplomate, American Board of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Neurology