Re: [Harp-L] So What (was: "Kind of Blue" in 3rd)

Jp Pagan wrote:
> so, we have one vote for a Bb harp (5th position) and
> one vote for an Ab harp (7th position).

Sorry, but I'd probably switch harps on this song.  I dinked around
with it a little after the original query and that's what was most
comfortable for me

> maybe i'm nuts, but i think this kind of stuff is fun

This is the "intellectual" part of music for me.  I love figuring
out the starting point, then messing around with it until I'm
comfortable with the changes and the melody and what I have to
improv over.

Sometimes that changes.  Our band does the jazz standard "Autumn
Leaves".  I play the rhythm part of it in A on a C harp (4th
position), but wasn't comfortable improvising there, so I was doing
the solo on a natural minor tuned harp.  I recorded a few of our
sessions, and basically ripped off my own licks from the natural
minor harp in 4th position, and now play the song on one harp.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/