[Harp-L] So What (was: "Kind of Blue" in 3rd)

so, we have one vote for a Bb harp (5th position) and
one vote for an Ab harp (7th position). since i
haven't actually tried to play it, i have no idea
which is better, but my theoretical favorite is a yet
another key - the F harp. the A sections end up in 4th
position and the B section ends up in 11th. some
tricky bends needed in the B part, but i don't think
you'd need the OBs for much in that position, which is
good, cause i can't play them that well yet ;)

one more thing: the F could be too high for some and
too low for others. the Bb and Ab have better ranges
(for me, anyway)

maybe i'm nuts, but i think this kind of stuff is fun
:)
  --Jp

> >From: Jp Pagan <jpl_pagan@...>

> >so, this makes for an interesting discussion, i
think.
> >let's take one of the classics from that album "So
> >What". i'm not an expert on this, but as i
understand
> >it the tune has an AABA structure. the A sections
are
> >in D Dorian and the B section is a half step up, in
Eb
> >Dorian.

> >so... is there a better position to start out in
than

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Michael

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Winslow
Yerxa" <winslowyerxa@...> wrote:

> For both D and Eb dorian on one diatonic, how about
an Ab harp? Play
> the D part in 7th position with a lot of bent-down
notes, then the Eb