Fwd: [Harp-L] Harmonica Teachers Beware - so that's how the scam works!

So that's how the scam works. I and others ahve received dozens of
such come-ons in the last several months. After the first two
identically worded in a short space of time from different parts of
the world I could tell they were bogus, but I never could tell what
the payoff was.

Thanks' Larry, this clarifies it. I hope it also helps keep music
teachers from being ripped off.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, larryboy@... wrote:

Hey long time no post.

I wanted to share with you a recent experience.  I was contacted via
e-mail by a
guy purportedly in Belgium.  He wanted a harmonica teacher for his
son.  <SNIP>

When I recieved his Cashier's Check, it was for almost 3 times the
agreed upon
price.  <SNIP>  Well, after I told him
that I'd be happy to send the difference, after his cashier's check
cleared the
bank, he disappeared.

The scam is to over pay, claim some error or mistake, and then have
the victim
wire the difference.  <SNIP>