Re: Fwd: [Harp-L] not playing it all does not make you a bad musician

I am sure your father was a great musician.  He was
born with a wonderful gift too!

Your father was well studied in music, or at least I
assume he did attened the RC in Naples.  He understood
the language of music, had all the background and
insights, and then took his own path.

He may not have played all styles, but I bet he
understood music on the whole so well, that had he
wanted to, he could have easily played multiple
styles.

No one (at least I am not) is debating whether or not
playing multiple styles makes you great.  My main
point is that knowledge is power and that in you
example your father knew a lot about music and that
let him be great.  Had he not attended school, learned
about theory, or learned the fundamentals of music, I
bet, even with perfect pitch, he wouldn't have been as
great as he became.  That's not to say he wouldn't
have been good.

Also, I am putting ability and understanding on a
sliding scale.  Those who have the background and the
ability are the best players.  True musicians will
have the tools to always find their voice in the
music.  They will also be able to communicate with
others in order to help others share their voice
through music.

Part of being a musician has to include going from
style to style, being able to communicate your ideas,
and being able to communicate other people's ideas.
You have to have at least a reasonable understanding
of the big picture of music.

That isn't to say that some strengths make up for some
weaknesses and vice versa.

> --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Emile
> D'Amico" <EDAmico@...>
> wrote:
>
> This concept that you have to play every style of
> music to be a great
> musician is wrong.
> My father was great musician. At the age of 14 he
> won a ten year
> scholarship to the Royal Conservatory of Naples.
> He had perfect pitch and when we would watch TV he
> would give the key
> and the notes in the melody a they were played.
> Also he could improvise in a classical style. He did
> not play jazz,
> blues, country etc... nor did he want to.
>
> Emile Diggs D'Amico

> --- End forwarded message ---

Mike Fugazzi
vocals/harmonica