Subject: [Harp-L] harmonica case

Jim McBride writes:

"I just bought a very cool used case at a local used music equipment store.
It will be perfect for a harp case once I get some foam to hold the harps. Any
 ideas where I can get the foam that people put into these cases? Do you cut
the  foam yourself, or do you buy the stuff that is already in little squares
that  can be removed to make shapes. If you cut the foam, what do you use to
cut it?  "

....Hi Jim:  I believe you can buy thick slabs of foam that would fill  the
entire case end to end front to back from any upholster-type shop -- or even  a
fabric shop.  I've bought 4- 6 inch thick lengths of foam (to make  cushions
for window seats) that would work from Joann's ..they have an  online site I
believe but have stores in the New York area.

I cut either with my old, hardly used Remington electric carving knife
(still recommended for these projects by crafters (if you're doing major
cut-downs)...but to just remove enough to fit a specific harp I'd probably use a  sharp
blade (exacto knife or razor type blade).  Always undercut....you can  take
away more if need be.  What I'd actually do is simply make a  slit..slide in
the harp and only widen it if the harmonica was especially big  (my Super-64 for
example).  By buying the foam thick enough to completely  fill the case (if
it's deep enough)..you get to stand diatonics  upright...fitting tons more into
the space....so you could then fit mics, other  equipment, a couple of chroms
if you have them.

_Click  here: High Density Foam Slab 4''x24''x76''_
(http://www.joanns.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$RXQK5XAAACH2EP4SY5NBHOR50LD3OEPO?CATID=95011&PRODID=8158
3&source=search)

Elizabeth

(I decided to check Joann's site..this one is pricey...but of course it's
76" long and you don't need anything like that...but it'll give you an idea of
what I'm talking about)  You should be able to buy it by the size you need
somewhere. The one shown in the link also comes from l"  up to 5"  depths.