Re: [Harp-L] re: being a musician

On Apr 11, 2006, at 12:08 PM, Chris Michalek wrote:

Reading skills are not just for studio musicians to play a song in one take. If you're in a band and you have a great tune in your head how do you convey your original masterpiece to the others? Reading and writing music is about communication.

Like I said (IMHO) you're attached to your ideas about how things get done. There's a big difference between being attached and being clear. The latter leaves room for other ways of doing things. But yeah, of course, being musically literate and versed in theory can be extremely helpful when collaborating as well as when you want to share your music with other musicians. Indeed, I ran into this problem a couple of weeks ago with a guitar player who was accompanying me for a show. We ended up having to scrap a few originals because we lacked sheet music. Nevertheless, not being able to read and therefore communicate didn't mean either of us were crap. You, or others, might say I suck but the reason for your statatemen will be my playing, not whether I can sight read. ;-)

Bob Cohen