[Harp-L] Musicians vs Crap

I am a reader - not great, but able to get by. And for that I am grateful. However, though reading music is a huge advantage, it does not in and of itself make the musician - it is only a tool, be it very useful.

I am frequently alarmed by "self-appointed experts" who indicate that one of the required paths to becoming a great musician is through learning to read.

My rebuttal is always: consider the poor musicianship of such "artists" as Andrea Bocelli, Clarence Carter, Ray Charles, Jose Feliciano, Terri Gibbs, Roland Kirk, Ronnie Milsap, George Shearing, Art Tatum, Sonny Terry, Doc Watson, Stevie Wonder (and countless others) and their stance among non-harmonica players. They were somehow able to influence other great musicians who overlooked their lack of talent.

That's all for me on this topic - got to get back to the giglist.

Danny
--

BassHarp
PO Box 5061