[Harp-L] re: music theory

Reading music and music theory are two different things. Here's a melody, play
it. That's reading music. Write a melody, write the harmonies, write a couple
variations, that's theory. You can get the rudiments of reading music fairly
quickly. To learn music theory you might want to take a class or two at
college.

Do you need these to be in a jam band? Jerry Garcia used to play things like
recorder music to get out of the guitar player mindset and the bass player and
the original keyboard player were classically trained.

I can read music, but for me it's a chore. I just can't get myself to sit down
and do it. I've had a book of Duke Ellington music for almost 20 years and I
just can't do it. I just want to jam. I don't get paid $500.00 a night either.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm