[Harp-L] RE: 99.4% is crap.

After reading several of the post's inluding Chris
M.'s I thought I'd way in with my two cents.

1.  You only need to know what you want to know most
of the time, unless you want to know more.  This goes
for theory and just about everything else music.  If
you want to play trad blues harp then that's the
"theory" you need to learn, etc.  You can decide by
yourself what level you want to pursue, because in the
end, it only matters what you play and not necessarily
what you know.  That being said, most harp players, or
any other "musicians" tend to sell them selves short
in the area of specific music theory to some extent.
It just so happens, that compared to bass or guitar,
harmonica theory is less accessible.

I've had a blues debate on another forum about
progressive vs. traditional where somebody said that
blues has already been progressed and can't be
anymore.  That's ridiculous.  If you want to be an
innovator, then things like theory become more
important.  This person is a singer and has probably
NO formal music education (so he'd be lower on the
pecking order then the average harp player).

2.  Theory does not always make you a better player,
but allows you more flexibility.  Music can be
overwhelming, and I suggest you learn the basics and
then bite off the chunks you need to as you go.

3.  There is room for everyone of us to study more
theory, no matter what level we're at.  GREAT
MUSICIANS ARE NEVER DONE LEARNING.  There is always a
point at which you'll have to adapt.  If you
understand the basics, you can be a quick learn and
even though you don't know everything, you can learn
it efficiently.

Mike Fugazzi
vocals/harmonica
NiteRail