Re: [Harp-L] Effects: proper chain order?

Hi,

First of, thank you Richard and Chris for the tips. I'd appreciate if
you reply to this too. Below you can read description of the test I and
my friends undertook in 2 musical stores last weekend. Results are not
satisfactory. Which means we will continue to search. But before we move
on, would you please comment on the general set up of the equipment for
the purposes of the harmonica amplified sound. With effect pedals of
course.

Could you please describe a step-by-step chain set up for the solo
harmonica - amplified sound. Like, Plug mic into the effect pedal, then
blah-blah, etc., say, using EQ, Distortion pedal and Reverb? Or your
favourite set up?

Best,

Alex

***********************
I printed out your recommendations and took them with me to 2 stores
where I checked the effect pedals. Should say at once that in both
stores sales people and even consultats didn't have a clue what we were
going to do with the effect pedals and harmonicas:) and as for the
general set up - no clue as well, including us:). So, we had to take
initiative and just ask them plug everything we need together.

We used thre mics: Green 520DX, Hohner Blues Bluster and Sure 545SD.

1. In the first store we tried Dan Electro effects through the console
and Celestion speakers. Should mention, it was not in the U.S. and the
service sucked, so they didn't have some extra cables to plug in all 6
pedals together. So, all we had was two pedals in a row at a time. I
guess 90% of effects didn't perform as expected, at all. The sound was
somewhat faded and feedback city started at a moderate volume.

We tried to do the same through the Line-6 2.0. The result was similar,
sound weak and effects themselves not in their 100% beauty. In general,
we didn't get the sound we wanted, and the sound coundn't be compared to
that produced with the guitar one minute after we finished testing. I
mean guitar sounded much louder and effects were quite impressive.

RESULTS: not satisfied with the effects, feedback was there all the
time, sound weak.

CONCLUSIONS: (1) probably Dan Electro effects are not the best in the
world and / or (2) general chain set up of pedals was not correct. Our
suspicion is that we had to use DI box, which was not offered in the
store.

2. In the second store we tested new Korg guitar processor - Toneworks
AX3G. A cheap one in terms of price - some $75.  We tried it through a
big Marshal amp - clean channel (don't remember the model, but pretty
good one and expensive). So, we went through each of the 80 program
effects. And I guess some 10 of them turned out to be just great for the
harmonica, which is not bad.

However, as in the first case, we never went out of the feedback city
and had to keep volume at level of 3-4, with treble at zero, bass at 7
and mids at 4. Effects themselves again were not that fat and breaking
through. That is, sound was rather weak and somewhat faded.

CONCLUSIONS: (1) probably general set up equipment was not ok, my
though was that it'd be better to plug hamronica mic into the amp and
then send the signal from the amp to the sound processor and then back
into the amp - but we didn't do that because service sucked and no
cables were provided to do the tricks. So we just plugged mic into the
Korg processor and then directly into the amp. (2) we had a feeling that
DI is a must.