[Harp-L] What is crap musican? (was: 99.4%)

First off, I still haven't figure out how to make a reply in a mailing list, so forgive me if you can not reference.

Anyway, as music is an art, it is highly subjective. As such, by what standard do we say "good" or "bad"? No, seriously: by what standard?

If we decide to go for traditional classical music theory, then perhaps we harp player are guilty as charged, since afterall, we decided to use blues scales instead of the proper diatonic scales, don't we? Also, didn't most of us decided to play is positions instead of playing chromatically (especially in regard to chromatic harmonica)

But if we do go by this standard, then 99.4% of musicans in the WORLD are crap musicans (actually, numebr exagerate for parallelism) Pick any modern band in America: they properly will only do melody on vocal, and play chords that is even less then what harpist use in twelve bar blues. Pick any chinese or japanese classical music, which some people claimed was way too alien to be music. Heck, pick any jazz greats, who properly violated traditional music theory quite a few times too!

But why do people still listen to it? Reason: it please them. It entertains them.

Take rap, for example: some people consider it to be music, some don't. If it must be not music, then why the heck do so many kids nowadays listen to rap? I mean, even if the marketing is the main force, people must be willing to response to the music first before being willing to accept it: many of my college friends prefer J-pop, and dislike rap, for example?and there was not much marketing for J-pop in North America.

As someone here one posted, playing music is either for yourself, for someone else, and for money... and frankly, for money is merely a mathematical way to calculate how someone else response to your music, so once again it was boiled down to your judgement and their judgement: and since music itself is subjective?an irrational matter, it will be fruitless to try to prove it like a rational subject: we must merely accept that some people will like the music, and some don't.

So does that mean we are completely out of our argument, then?

Not quite. While we properly had escaped the question of playing in exact tune (ref: overblow and XB-40 bending), playing in melody only (chromatic), riffing only chords, and numerous "problems", one concept, especially in terms of modern listeners to music, is the idea of playing chromatically, and the willingness to acheive it.

Again, this is subjective, but nonetheless a persistent common concept in the mind of many music listenr, that if a musical instrument can onyl play diatonically, then it is a toy, and the players rely on diatonic instruments because they suck (or lazy)... and this may extend to even blues, that we use harmonica because it's easy to play (which is somewhat true). And so far, we all know there's no absolute solution... not even Mr. Chmel himself can overcome all the obstacles when playing classical music.

But I do believe that we need to reach a middle ground, somewhere. How we should do it is unclear (I prefer chrom, but I know many prefer multiple harmonica), but in order to prove that harmonica is a genuine music instrument, and to show them that we are not crap, we must attempt to approach the middle ground, no matter how difficult it is. Adn that's not just the musicmanship itself... the music style we play must also reach some common ground.

Anyway, these are my two cents, and should not be taken that seriously.

George Leung