Re: [Harp-L] What are YOU going to do about it?

Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 16:35:13 -0400
From: Pierre <plavio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] What are YOU going to do about it?

>BTW, I suggest everyone buy a used keyboard and spend 10 hours on it
>practicing all they know on the harp on the keyboard, its so nice to
>have a picture of what you are playing. Also its so cool because it is
>so easy to invent things while pecking at the keyboard.
>
>The harmonica is a limiting instrument when it comes to "Music" (with a
>capital M), what piano player would play a piano with a bunch of
>"missing" notes.
>
>Pierre.

Nah, pianos are really limiting, they only come in key of C and can't even
bend a note.  Try fitting one of those buggers in your pocket.
  Speaking for myself, when I decided to learn music theory, I bought a
270, and learnt everything I know on it.  I took that knowledge back to the
diatonic harp, and altered tunings on chrom & diato.  Later I went through
a stage learning new instruments including flute, guitar, saxaphone, and
yes keyboard.
  And everytime, when I was learning where the notes were, or refering to
the notes in a given chord/key/scale, I automatically see it in my mind on
the C solo chromatic harmonica - eventually after lots of practice I now
see the notes as they are on each instrument as I built up points of
reference.  But the key of C solo chromatic remains my default point of
reference.
  The funny thing is I now mostly play regular German major diatos,
diminished chromatics and alto sax.
-- G.