RE: [Harp-L] Speakers, mics and phase

 Greg,You got me to AB'ing all afternoon with different elements.  I actually did notice a little cleaner sound with correct phasing.  Cleaner in that it wasn't quite as ratty sounding or driven I guess is the better word, although it may have been the slight boost in the low frequencies that I noticed, which in turn allows me to up the volume a little more to the feedback threshold for max drive (possibly as you stated).  My mics usually are very fat and I guess I never really listened to the point of not changing any tone knob settings while swapping hot and neutral wires to test.  I usually AB them with a 1.34K ohm 99A86 CM I have and a certain White Label CR I use and with low end they're not even close, but the power is certainly there, so I guess once I tune my elements up if they have more low end than the others I say good enough. I appreciate the insight as now I'll pay more attention to the even finer details. steve--- On Sun 04/09, gregnospam <
gregnospam@xxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:From: gregnospam [mailto: gregnospam@xxxxxxxxxxx]To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 16:40:31 -0700Subject: [Harp-L] Speakers, mics and phaseYes- even with a single speaker, there is a phase relationship between the mic and the speaker that can help to accentuate, cancel or alter feedback. Imaging holding your mic in front of the speaker, facing it. If the mic's diaphragm moving in (away from the speaker) results in a signal that pushes the speaker cone out, (think, waving both hands back and forth in the same direction) then the two are sort of "coupled" and feedback will be likely. If they move in opposite directions (think moving your hands toward and away from each other, like clapping) they have a natural phase cancellation that can reduce feedback..Now - the fact is it matters where you are in terms of wavelengths of distance from the speaker, but for yucks I wired one of my Kalamazoo's up with a speaker-phase-reversing switch. I
can get feedback in either direction but the feedback tone occurs at a different frequency if its in phase than if it is out of phase - and I can get the volume knob a little higher before feedback when the switch is in one position vs. another. _______________________________________________Harp-L is sponsored by SPAH, http://www.spah.orgHarp-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx://harp-l.org/mailman/listinfo/harp-l

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com