[Harp-L] What are YOU going to do about it?

Chris said:

The question is: What are YOU going to do about it?

I'm miles away from Chris's league but I went out and bought myself a good keyboard recently with the firm intention of learning music and to learn how to play B-3 organ which I've always loved. I guess I was inspired by a local Jazz trumpet pro I saw play at a local Jazz bar. After hearing him play wonderfully with a quartet put together for one evening, I found out he had only been playing B-3 for 5 years. Of course he is already a seasoned pro in the Jazz word and a teacher at McGill University.

I now have a real teacher who is having me draw notes and staff symbols and giving me written assignments (started last thursday). She is starting me at step one just like the wee kiddies. I was a bit aprehensive about this as I know how long it takes to learn piano using the traditional method and I am in the low 50's. But I realize that there are few shortcuts that lead to being a complete "piano" player. Piano is hard as you need to coordinate two hands, arms and 10 fingers (Organ is worse, you also use your left foot to play bass and use your right foot to controll a swell pedal (volume and fullness of tone). So methods were designed to develop the required motor skills, timing, ... For example, lay you hand and wrist on a table, now pull your fingers back to round your fingers as if you had a small ball in your hand, then try and lift you ring finger a half inch or inch without lifting the other fingers; its soo hard it hurts your mind. While you develop the motor skiils, the methods also teach you to read music and teach you theory, which is teaching you a language and grammar. So gradually as your motor skills get better, so does your knowledge.

About reading music, I tried on my own a few times and never got anywhere. But here is a trick to get there. Learn only the lines first. mi, so, si, ré, fa (in english EGBDF). Those are the arpegios for the major scale - cool! Now find a simple book or sheet and read only those 5 notes wherever you find them, skip other notes, you will learn them later. When you are real good at it, add the in-between notes. Learn to hum the notes over time, eventualy you will be able to sight sing (Intervals are tricky I presume, but in time...).

Now stick a note in you car and add the extra lines above and below. do mi, so, si, ré, fa, la, ... (The note is to remind you to do it) Learn to say these backwards and forwards from any point. Picture the staff in your mind, see the lines and the notes as you swirl around. Then do the same swirling exercise thinking of you on the harp (air harmonica). Imagine you playing these notes all up and down the harp.

Quick where is the "A" in the middle register. What, you don't know?

Emile is right, we do need methods that focus on everything diatonic from A to Z. You might have to skip some lessons if you can't bend or something, but you could come back and do them when your ready. There is a lot to learn.

BTW, I suggest everyone buy a used keyboard and spend 10 hours on it practicing all they know on the harp on the keyboard, its so nice to have a picture of what you are playing. Also its so cool because it is so easy to invent things while pecking at the keyboard.

The harmonica is a limiting instrument when it comes to "Music" (with a capital M), what piano player would play a piano with a bunch of "missing" notes.

Pierre.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Michalek" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>