[Harp-L] RE: Speaker Polarity. I meant ONE spkr

or even in the case of a microphone diaphragm and a speaker cone, polarity does indeed matter.

Now I'm getting Interested.   Are you saying in this instance that a microphone that produces an AC voltage ( no polarity ) through sound pressure and sends the signal through the output transformer, which at this point all the amps signals are AC, then it matters what lead wires you choose from the mic?
I've AB'd hundreds of dynamic mics right from the 2 diaphragm wires and have never even heard the slightest difference in tone, but I dig what you're saying *****if 2 mics are involved, they buck each other.
food for thought  : There are 2 types of Hi Z transformers and one has 3 wires (green, yellow, white) and the other has ( green, yellow, black, white) **I'm omitting the low Z colors** Now, there's 2 bare wires coming from the diaphragm, which one is positive and which one is neg?  Does it matter?    Some show the pos and some don't show anything at all, so I just hook em up and let er fly.  I quit paying attention to it along time ago when I hooked one up in reverse phase and noticed absolutely no difference and I found out because I had to chang a scratchy pot.    My customers don't seem to notice anything either.
Now, the HiZ tranny: If you take the 3 wire tranny the green is the positive and it is the only wire on the primary side. The white and the black are on the secondary the hot and nuetral.
A 4 wire tranny on the primary side has a green for neg and yellow for pos and the secondary has a black for neutral and white for hot.  How is it one can cut the positive yellow on the 4 wire tranny and then jump the black on the secondary to the element terminal and then have Hi Z just like the 3 wire.  There's no polarity and I'm pretty sure the speaker doesn't see this
I'm open for any dialogue as I love learning.
steve

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.comThe most personalized portal on the Web!

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com