[Harp-L] Buckeye 2006

I don't normally report on this stuff, but figured I'd give anyone who cares
my slanted, imprecise and probably inaccurate summation of the BHF.  I
haven't been there in a couple of years, but had good memories of it, and
gotta say I learned a lot every time I did go.  This year was no exception.
I got there late Thursday night, had to attend business meetings Friday
during the day, and really didn't "check in" until showtime Friday night.
The Buckeye Harmonica Group started things off with some old favorites that
got most of the crowd clapping along.  Then Al and Judy Smith, The Harmonica
Hotshots, took over, and wowed us.  I love the Reed Gloves.  Follow all that
by P.T. Gazell, who played some incredible stuff.  Sharp, crystal clear
stuff, played masterfully by a master.  He was accompanied by Carol Beth
True on piano (one of the best pianists I have even been privileged to
see/hear), and 3 other musicians who, I am sorry to say, I don't remember
their names.  The upright bassist was phenomenal;  the guitarist was as
tasteful and technically proficient as any I've heard, and the drummer was
solid, "in-the-pocket" (sorry for the axiom, but it fits) and tasteful.
The after-hours jams were interesting.  I observed the jazz jam for awhile,
and of course was blown away by the players.  I sat in on the blues jam, and
was privileged to hear many local players, along with Jason Ricci who, of
necessity, ran the jam.  He did so reluctantly, but hey, Jason, we needed a
leader, and you were elected.
I did have a chance to visit the vendors this morning before I had to leave,
and was pleased to see that the Doc has continued John Hall's Harp Depot
presence.  I've never seen so many harmonicas.  Seydel had a part of a room,
and Rupert was there - glad I had a chance to meet him and speak with him.
Very knowledgeable, very nice guy.  Doris Eichler was there, with great
prices on a lot of stuff.  I picked up a couple of items at wonderful
bargain rates.
I don't claim to be one of the "in" crowd, and I haven't followed Harp-L as
well as I had in the past, so I don't know why a lot of the "regulars"
weren't there.  While they were missed, especially in the jams, I gotta say,
many stepped in what would have been "holes," and, all in all, it was a good
time.