[Harp-L] modeling tube sound

Joel Fritz <jfritz666@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> IMHO the solid state vs tube thing, given what signal processing  can
> do, is a non issue.   I'd be very curious to see what a double blind
> test of tube amp vs. solid state  would show.

to me the interesting question is not so much whether amp
modelers accurately reproduce tube sounds and response, but
rather, if not, why not?  assume for purposes of discussion that
current amp modelers rate somewhere between "who stepped on the cat?"
and "close, but no cigar".  (i'm not saying they do.  i really don't
know.  but bear with me).  i don't see any inherent reason why they
couldn't be perfect, that is, accurately simulate tube amp sounds.
i mean, c'mon, we can simulate stress failures in bridges, what goes
on inside a nuclear reaction, the first few moments of the Big Bang,
but a fender bassman defeats us?

so, is it a function of cost tradeoffs?  would the processing
be prohibitively expensive to provide in an effects box?  are
the calculations required too expensive to perform in real time?
are the engineering costs to properly analyze and model tube
response too expensive to amortize over the expected sales?

maybe the vendors don't see a need?  are amp modelers "good enough"
for their intended customers, which are primarily guitar players?
do the needs of harp players demand a higher degree of accuracy in
simulating tube response than what is needed for guitar?

i'm reminded of the inexpensive consumer electronic keyboards.
when they first came out, they had cheesy little oscillators, and
sounded pretty awful.  but they were cool, and even though their
simulations of all the various instruments didn't really sound much
like those instruments, people liked 'em, and bought 'em.  then,
as demand increased and memory/processing costs decreased, sampling
keyboards became the norm, and the difference in sound was dramatic.
is a similar trajectory possible with amp modelers?

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Can't you hear my lambs a callin'?
Oh good shepherd won't you feed my sheep?