Re: [Harp-L] Re: Little Walter

I appreciate that everyone loves their own sound the most, and that's
probably how it should be.

There is no one best sound for all time.  There are sounds that have
stood the test of time, and there are sounds that are of this time that
we're currently discovering and judging. If the sounds that have stood
the test of time seem superior to much of what we hear now, it's in
large part because we're comparing the best of hwat has gone before us
to things that are new and different and (by definition) haven't stood
the test of time.

I intend to never stop trying to get new sounds from my instrument.
Some of the new stuff will certainly suck.  Some of it will succeed in
expressing emotions and thoughts that are impossible to express with
more traditional sounds.

The point is to never stop trying to make sounds that express our
thoughts and feelings more perfectly.  That's the common impulse behind
Sonny Junior's amps and the heavily electronic gear that hasn't yet
achieved classic status.

We'll know in 15 years or so which of the new stuff is really classic.
I can wait, and in the meantime I have 4 rigs that make sounds that I
really like a lot, all of which sound very different from each other.
That's fun.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com