Re: [Harp-L] Re: Little Walter

Well, sure... the best players sound better than the rest of us, no matter what gear they use.  But we all sound pretty much the same because we are all using the same old-school gear.

  Little Walter Jacobs used NEW GEAR to get a new tone.  I think it has been taken about as far as it can in the last 50 years.

  Don't get me wrong... I love to listen to (or play through) a good tube amp.  My first good harp amp was an old Ampeg B15N flip-top stack.  My most recent was a Newcomb Pathfinder E-10B modded by Skip Simmons.  Lots of great tube amps in between.

  But I found a solid state combination that works for me:  The JT-30 w/ CM element into a Crate Powerblock and a 4x8 bass cab.  It's not better; just different.

  And different is good.

  -Rick Davis
  www.davisbluesproject.com

SONNYTONE@xxxxxxx wrote:
      Have to disagree on the last part. The true top pros know their shit is good, but equally respect each other. I happen to be in the circle and know Jerry, Kim, Primich, Hummel, Charlie, Rick, Lee, all friends and great players. It's the guys a step under that who need to prove themselves with competition. The Little Walter thing, the list was getting boring. He played through a sewer pipe, so he was moving, but there is a difference in a real bonified harp amp and reissue. I have owned over 3000 vintage amps, and I know my stuff. I wouldn't be building what I do if it wasn't over the top of anything else. I have other avenues in life to take. Every customer agrees, so for those who seem jealous about it, try one first before making assumptions. If you really can't play you are going to sound the same through anything. When you can, a great amp just accentuates your greatness, sure you will sound good through anything, but I witnessed it with Sugar Ray and his Ampeg
 VT40, Good amp, but not great.