Re: [Harp-L] re:modes and positions

On Mar 30, 2006, at 4:52 AM, rainbowjimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

JP wrote "why limit yourself to a discussion of
just the easiest ones to play?"

I say, why not? Some songs work better in certain positions. There's E minor
tunes that work better in 2nd, 3rd, or 5th. I pick the position that easiest
for that tune, the one with the least bends, the one I can pick out the melody
easiest.

Of these three, IMHO the best position for playing minor is "none of the above". 4th is by far my favorite position for playing in minor mode. And I use it a lot for major modes, too. 3Dbb 3D 4Db 4D 5B 6Bb 6Db 6D. It's not hard - really.

As far as black keys and white keys, truck loads of old rock and roll piano was
in C and G.

Yeah - like Honky Tonk in G. (Ooops - that's in F :-) But even if in the keys of C and G, more often than not black keys are used.

Would Mozarts compositions have been as great sans sharps/flats? I find the mere notion frightening.

But I agree with Jimmy. If he chooses, it's his decision to approach harmonica on whatever level he desires, and I wholly support it as such. Ignore sharps, flats, accidentals, bends, overblows, and valved bends if you choose, but please don't deny their existence for the rest of us. By the same token, please remind me to be as gracious any time I forget. Jimmy's a great guy and I'd never want to alienate him over something so trivial.

--IronMan Mike Curtis
ironmanmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Great songs! Amazing videos!   www.myspace.com/ironmancurtis