[Harp-L] Reed Arcing

Reed arcing is something I've tried with little success, and in fact I think
I just stressed and fatigued the reeds if anything.  Tinus's overblow.com
site has some great photos to show his final results of arcing, but it
doesn't explain the actual process of arcing.  Is it different from gapping
in that you deal with the entire reed and not just the free tip?  Do you
brace the reed against something for support?  What tool do you use to
straighten the reed?  Details like this would be much appreciated!

Jonathan Metts