[Harp-L] Difference tones [was Re: can I blame the gear--please?]

Doug Schroer wrote:
> Joe's statement about: "two notes that are justly tuned make
> another note that is lower in pitch and also in tune."  I haven't
> checked this on Pat Missin's site yet, though I have read other
> parts.  While I have noticed the fullness of chords on justly
> tuned harps, I have not noticed anything I would have described as
> a lower pitched tone.  I will acknowledge that a just tuned chord
> is a full sound.

It is a simple matter of physics that when two notes are played
simultaneously a third note is generated at the frequency of the
difference of the two pitches.  This is called a difference tone.
One of the principles on which just intonation is based is
generating resonant difference tones.

For example, if I tune the 1 blow on an A harp to precisely 440
hertz, then tune the 3 blow to a major 5th, with the E at
the "equal" interval of 659.26 hertz, the differnce between the two
frequencies is 219.26 hertz, which is a slightly flat A note and
octave below the root.  However, if I raise the pitch of the E
slightly to 660 hertz -- an adjustment of about 2 cents -- the
difference tone is now produced at 220 hertz, a perfect octave below
the root tone.

It does take somewhat of a practiced ear to isolate the difference
tone, but it's not too difficult to hear the "beats" generated by
the dissonance between a difference tone that's slightly off from
it's octave.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps