Re: [Harp-L] can I blame the gear--please?

Doug,

To clarify, I wasn't suggesting that an equal tuned harp is out of
tune, I'm acutely aware
that melodic lines played on a JI tuned instrument will obviously
contain flat notes. I didn't attempt to
state facts to pretend to be an expert, I was only passing along
what has been proven. It is good to have this discussion for those who
aren't aware of the differences,
and hey- it even brought out a lurker:))

Here are the links to Pat Missin's articles, and the ear training
article that I found fascinating:

http://www.patmissin.com/tunings/tun0.html
http://www.patmissin.com/ffaq/q26.html
http://www.faculty.ucr.edu/~eschwitz/SchwitzAbs/DiffTone.htm

Tuning schemes are obviously subjective to the situation, and I'm
certainly not trying to convert everyone to JI.
I was only making it known that tuning differences can (but not
necessarily will) be heard
not only by the player, but also by the listener (especially when
amplified). My post was in reaction
to another that suggested tuning doesn't matter to the listener, or
something along those lines. It is significant if
you can hear it, and it's one possibility that could explain Rainbow
Jimmy's experience. I would
tend to think it's something like that rather than the difference in
"tone" between brands of harmonica.

Best regards,
Joe Spiers