Re: [Harp-L] RE: Bad reed I think

Both Vern and Siegfried have pointed out my omission. Certainly a reed can be twisted in the slot and that can cause it to not sound. It's not something I've ever seen a lot of in stock undropped diatonic harmonicas. With customs which may have tightened reed slot tolerances it's a fairly common problem. It also happens if you drop a harmonica and it hits upon its end. I will take Siegfried's word regarding an era of production where a manufacturer had significant problems keeping things straight in the slots. While I own hundreds of harmonicas I don't often buy new ones, seldom purchase anything new or stock and really haven't bought an off the shelf harmonica in over the decade. Maybe 3 total. My sample is small. Vern is correct, a reed that won't hold a tuning is on its way out, a reed that won't sound and sticks in its slot has had it. fjm