Re: [Harp-L] this recent thread on positions, notes, colors etc...

For me the major difficulty in playing in the circles at Spah or Buckeye is an inability to hear. It's almost as if you're playing with delay and needing to compensate. If what you do is play with rhythm or go against the tempo or chop the time you are handcuffed. It's almost as if what it requires is learning an entirely different style just to be successful in that setting. I've certainly never gotten a grasp on how to acheive it. The people who seem to thrive in that environment all seem willing to go out on limbs and make major major mistakes. Clearly there's a very steep learning curve but people do seem to make the jump. Witness the rave reviews of Warren B's triumphant return to this year's SPAH event. It's not as if you're not making progress Steve. I've been astounded by the leaps and bounds you've progressed but I've really always heard you in the smaller groups outside the blues jam venue. You have my sympathy on that one, it's not for me. I've never played well in the festival settings. fjm