Fwd: [Harp-L] Harmonica Positions

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tim Moyer" <wmharps@xxxx>
wrote:
Okay, I have a question about harmonica positions: what
determines "position" on a harmonica?  Is it the root note?  I don't
think that works, because, for example, I have a Hohner "Educator I"
that is solo tuned in C, but starts on the G below the C, like this:

Blow G3 C4 C4 E4 G4 C5 C5 E5 G5 C6 C6 E6
Hole 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12
Draw A4 B4 D4 F4 A5 B5 D5 F5 A6 B6 D6 F6

I would consider first position on this harmonica to be playing in
the key of C major, with the scale starting on the 3 blow.

If I alter the tuning of a standard C diatonic to Melody Maker I
have all the notes of the G scale available without bends or
overbends:

Blow C4 E4 A5 C5 E5 G5 C6 E6 G6 C7
Hole 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10
Draw D4 G4 B5 D5 F# A6 B6 D6 F# A7

This harp is "designed to be played in cross harp", but if all the
notes of the Ionian mode scale are there for G, isn't that first
position, starting on the 2 draw?  If I switch to the relative minor
of G, which is E, I have all the notes of the E Aeolian scale there,
which should be 4th position relative to the root note, but that's
4th position relative to the G, and 5th position relative to the C.

So, what determines "position" on a harmonica?  Is it the root note
of the harmonica, or the root note of the primary tuning?

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/