Re: Re: [Harp-L] 5th position

Chris Michalek wrote:
> If you truly want to go where no man has gone before - play the
> music that's in your head. Listen to the tone, flavors, rhythms,
> colors, shapes that come to you naturally.  DON'T think of notes,
> that's a bigger trap than thinking in positions.
>
> When I'm playing I don't think anything, I see colors, textures,
> waves of rhythms in my head.  That's what I play.  If I need do
> break it down later and figure out what I played I can but what
> would be the point?

Playing music isn't entirely about making notes on the instrument.
Much of it is about creating or learning your part in a piece that
is being played by an ensemble of musicians, finding where you can
make the best contribution.  Thinking "modes" is about understanding
how the piece you're playing is constructed, whether it's something
you or your band wrote or something more standard.
Thinking "positions" is a way of relating modes to the tuning of the
harmonica to give you a set of notes to choose from that fit both
the music and the instrument.  It's a point of departure, not a
destination in itself.

In the end, it's great to close your eyes and lose yourself in the
textures and colors and rhythms of the music, but to get to that
point, most of us need to know where we're starting.  Modes and
positions are tools to help us understand.  Once we understand, we
can forget.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps