Re: RE: [Harp-L] 5th position

I don't know about the rest of the players out there, but I don't do
too many tunes that are written in phrygian mode.  But I do play in
12th position on a couple of tunes, remembering to draw bend the 3
and overblow the 6 to get the 4th notes and to draw bend the two
hole to get the low octave tonic for the major scale (ionian mode).

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/

A small number of Irish tunes are in true Lydian mode, i.e. can be played in 12th position without bending/overblowing. All the ones I know I play on a low D harp, and the guitar men regard the tunes as being in G major!

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm