Re: [Harp-L] Re:10 year old student

From: <MilwHarmonica@xxxxxxx>
Dave's suggestion is an excellent one for a young student, if the student
wants to learn a few songs. But if the student wants to learn to play the
harmonica, I wouldn't recommend limiting the student's study to the rote system
(ear training and memory only). Memory isn't always accurate. Use all the
senses, including sight (traditional notation) and touch.

Without a doubt, if he really wants to learn, give him the whole deal. I wasn't suggesting shortchanging his studies. I was basing it on the idea that this was a ten year old who asked "Will you teach me to play the harmonica?" At that age showing him how to find a tune will work with his natural curiosity, and in this day and age he probably expects near instant gratification. Once he sees/hears that he can make real music on the harp he should be encouraged to learn more. There is lots of excellent educational stuff (books/cds/dvds) and I've got some. I don't undervalue it, the ten year old boy factor influenced my opinion greatly.

Peace and music,
Dave