Re: [Harp-L] Microtrack vs Sony Minidisc

Garry Hodgson wrote:
"Less Paul" <lesspaul58@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
So the answer is if you thought the Minidisc was great, the Microtrack
should be even better (at least on paper).

it's the "on paper" thing i question.  my personal belief is that
few people have the specialized equipment and the hearing
to discern differences between 24bit 96Khz and 16bit 44.1.
(i have no data to support this)

Given M-Audio's track record, I'd
bet it would meet expectations.

one *huge* advantage microtrack has is that when connected to a computer it looks like just another usb drive. this makes it
much simpler to transfer files and such. i hate the fact that i have to use sony's proprietary software to transfer files from
my minidisc to computer, particularly since it means i can't use it on linux, and have to actually...ugh...touch a windows machine. shudder.

---- Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Your love, your anger, your kindness, your hate.
All of it creates the future for you and your children.
What kind of future are you creating today?

I doubt that the difference between the two sampling rates is audible to humans. The rule is that a sampling rate more than twice the frequency range desired will produce results that are indistinguisable from the original analog signal--i.e. the input from the mic. From what I understand the higher bit rate allows editing that you can't do at the lower.

BTW, if you have a laptop computer, you can spend a couple of hundred dollars (not including mic(s)) and have a very nice portable recording setup. Of course you have to have the laptop and for those who follow UNIX the choice of recording software is limited. <g>

-- Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly

Yes, it's what everyone has been clamoring for--pictures of the cats:

http://ratemykitten.com/my/?gallery=willie_mctell