Re: [Harp-L] Upgrading speaker

Hi, Mark.

Thanks for the help. The 12" vs. 10" was another concern to me, and I'm not yet sure if i'll finally go for a 10" and not try a 12". I play through the PA with an on-stand mic when I play acoustic pre-war blues, and with a cupped mic from my collection straight into the amp when playing electric Chicago blues, which are my two main harp interests. All my amps have 10" speakers, so I don't really know how a 12" will work, but I have very occassionally tried some amps with 12s and they do sound great, with lots of bottom. So if I stay with the 10 I'll probably try to look for some more bottom than the usual given by 10" speakers. I was doubtful if a Princeton would be able to move a decent 12" speaker properly, but now I see it can...

So, thanks for the info, it was a good help.

Best regards,

David

David -

I play through PAs a lot or through a mic'd amp through a PA, but I do have some preferences based on what I play.

It all depends on what you're going to use it for and what kind of mic and peripherals you use it with. Given the choice, however, I like to have more bottom.

I replaced the stock speaker in my '70 Princeton Vibro with a Jensen (I think its a 1034) about a dozen years ago. The sound is much improved and guitar players still covet my amp all the time. They tell me it's too good for a harmonica player.

I'm sure you can probably do better than that with a more contemporary speaker - technology has improved them since then. This is a 12, so it made a big difference. I also use a solid state rectifier (which people say is a mistake but it's also more dependable). I use a Danelectro delay pedal and a 60's era ceramic Green Bullett when I play Blues and go with the cleaner sound when I play Jazz (using a Blowtorch low-Z clipon mic and no delay). Sometimes for the small venue jazz stuff, I just use a small Dean Markley when I want a really clean sound.

I bet either Weber would be just fine if you have the right combination of components to get the sound you want.

Mark Russillo
(a.k.a. The Rhode Island Kid)