[Harp-L] ThunderHarp Mics Review

I recently had an opportunity to review a new harp mic now being offered to the harmonica community. It's been in development for quite some time, and is an alternative and answer to what many amplified blues harmonica players fear... that is, commonly used elements of the NOS variety no longer being as readily available as they once were.

This particular product is not in the "made for harmonica" genre. It's simply a more modern alternative. It's not tuned for harmonica, nor are there any electronic feedback devices installed. It's called a Thunderharp Mic, built by player/constructor & customizer Steve Warner.

www.thunderharpmics.com

I had two versions of the ThunderHarp mic sent to me for review. One, a nicely painted gold JT-30 with lightly anodized gold grille and volume control that showcased Steve's customization capabilities. The second example was a plain-jane JT-30 sans volume control. Steve customizes a variety of mic shells. You can visit his website for more examples.

Both of these mics had as common to them the secret behind their performance; a mic element not normally utilized in these shells. Please don't ask me what element Steve uses... I'm not at liberty to disclose specifics. Steve has spent a long time of R&D to get the most performance from this mic/shell combo, and I want to respect his hard work and wishes that I not divulge this info.

We can all agree that most amplified harmonica players are always looking for the hottest element they can find. Well, there's a new kid on the block. The mic element used in Steve's mics is extremely powerful with a big, broad sound, producing some interesting results. Although I would prefer not to compare this mic to mics more commonly employed by the amplified player, some comparisons cannot be avoided and therefore bear noting.

The ThunderHarp mic has a rich, full-bodied sound that works equally well on small or big amps. I pushed it through my "new" Silvertone 1433 and my Fender Twin, and just for kicks, my solid-state ElectroHarmonix "Freedom" amp. In each case, the mic seemed to "adapt" quite well to each amp, and I was able to get the more performance and to my ears a better sound than from any of my vintage mics. I must point out that all of my mics contain vintage NOS Shure Controlled Magnetic elements, several of which rival the sound/performance of Controlled Reluctance elements.

With the "Freedom" amp, the mic was able to produce a nicely compressed sound that still had plenty of headroom. On the Silvertone, a "big amp" sound could be fully realized, helped, no doubt, by the amp's 15" speaker. With the Twin, I had nice, full-bodied highs and monster, powerful lows that had authority. I could sense a certain firmness and stability of sound throughout the range of notes with each of these amps, and there seemed to be better feedback rejection, if just a tad. I felt I was also able to generate a broader range of sounds than with my other mics no matter what amp I used.

Okay, here comes the comparison to vintage elements: The sound of this mic is broader and more stable than that of a CM or CR without the limitations of early overdrive. With my best CM's, I could quickly determine and exploit it's performance envelope. It was just too easy to find and realize quickly, especially after spending time with a ThunderHarp mic and enjoying it's greater performance envelope. Beyond the comparatively narrower performance of a CM there was, well, nothing. It just flatted out no matter what changes were made to the amp. It just seemed to get edgier and edgier as the amp volume was increased, with no relative gain in body. I could recover some of the sound through use of tone controls, but it seemed I was only moving things around. The tight envelope was still there, along with the edgy sound. The amps I used with each of the CM's seemed capable of more performance, but were held back by these elements and their limitations.

The ThunderHarp mic just keeps asking for more, and returns the favor. With it's greater performance envelope, it just gets bigger and badder the more you turned up the amp! (To the point of feedback, of course.) Lows get deeper and thicker, but stay well-defined and firm, and highs are full and unfaltering. Transient response is as sharp and defined as you want to make it. You can lay back nice and smooth, or hit it hard, and it responds with a firm, authoritative punch. The relative additional high frequency information I was able to add will be most beneficial when needing to cut through the mix. With greater output than standard NOS elements however, I don't think you'll have as much of a problem being heard.

I think that perhaps because of the ability of the more modern and robust elements used in ThunderHarp mics to handle higher SPL's and also due to their greater frequency response curves, the tone controls don't drive the distortion nearly as quickly as with a traditional CM or CR. Instead, you can add more relative high end to cut through the mix rather than to add to overdrive. And those highs aren't "nose-bleed" highs that sound narrow and shrill, but firm, rich highs that are full-bodied and stable. Overdrive does come, but more like icing on the cake, atop this nicely laid foundation of highs.

With any harp I used there was an overall improvement in sound. And with chromatics, the sound seemed sharper and more defined as well.

I like this mic. It's quickly becoming my mic of choice, although I feel I've only tapped it's potential. I was able to road test it at a recent jam held by Kinzel & Hyde <www.kinzelandhyde.com> where it performed beautifully. But I know that there's more. I personally know of an internationally renowned harp player now using this mic exclusively, having switched from cherry-picked Astatic crystals to ThunderHarp mics. He returned from a recent road trip and is notorious for living out of a suitcase, gear and all, but his ThunderHarp mic, looking a little worse for wear, "took the lickin' and kept on tickin'".

Overall, I'm impressed by this mic and Steve's thorough execution of the vision for this mic, not to mention his customization capabilities. I think the ThunderHarp mic is a worthy addition to any harp player's arsenal of mics. I'm told Steve has a few "tricks up his sleeve", too, although I can't imagine what they could be... this is already an awesome mic. I'm looking forward to further developments and products from this exciting and innovative mic constructor. If the ThunderHarp mic is any indication of what we can expect from Steve Warner, amplified harp players are in for a thunderin' good time!

Ray Beltran.
--
My Music – www.resgraphics.com/music