[Harp-L] on artists and archives

"James Sterett" <jsterett@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Garry, thanks to you and KCMule's efforts for getting this all
> to us.  I dare say you're doing a great service to the artist and
> the harmonica lovin world getting their work out there for all to
> taste, which will, hopefully, have a positive effect on all those
> involved.

a number of folks have thanked me lately, which i really
appreciate.  it makes me a little uncomfortable, though,
since i don't really do all that much.  i do hope that it
does thave the positive effect you mentioned, for
everybody.  it makes me feel good to give something
back to the artists and the community.

i just wanted to point out that the artists out there who
allow taping and trading of their music are doing a generous
thing, and that there's an element of risk involved.  it seems
odd to just give away their music in an age of RIAA lawsuits
and the like.  there's a leap of faith involved, that the increased
exposure will help them grow their audience, though nobody
really knows for sure.

there's also an element of trust involved, an unspoken thing
between the band and their fans.  by sharing the music with
their fans, the band trusts that they won't abuse it or rip them
off, and that the fans will repay that trust in continued support.
it's a fragile thing, yet it seems to work for a lot of bands,
something many people, myself included, are *really* happy
about.

so those of you that partake of the shows on the archive, or
bit torrent, or whatever, when you find somebody you like,
do your part to support the music.  buy their cd's, go to their
shows, tell your friends about 'em.  let 'em know you appreciate it.

by the same token, next time you see a taper at a show,
go shake their hand or buy 'em a beer or something.  they
invest a lot of time and money and effort to make these
shows available.  a little thanks will go a long way.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Your love, your anger, your kindness, your hate.
All of it creates the future for you and your children.
What kind of future are you creating today?