[Harp-L] Re: check this out

stiv whiskywine <thepinkcrickets@...> wrote:

I just found this contraption on ebay. Anybody ever
hear one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Harmonicas-Plus-Brass-Echophone-Horn-Amplifier_W0QQi\temZ7351121249QQcategoryZ620QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Contraption is probably the right word.  It looks home made.  There have been
lots of "mechanical" amplifiers made in the past.  In the 20's and 30's lots of
harp makers sold these devices.  They were trying to compete with horns in
volume.  Most were marginally effective.  There are quite a lot of designs out
there for the collector's interest.  I have a HohnerPhone with a slot running
along the length to hold the harp.  The cool thing is, the bell is the same
diameter as a green bullet.  Makes for some interesting tonality.

Best Regards to All,

Larry boy Pratt
www.parkhousejam.com